Guide de voyage: Comté de Bibb 2026

Comté de Bibb : idées de séjour, infos pratiques et culturelles

Poplar St. during Christmas time in downtown Macon.
A great place to study the early history of Native Americans. I loved just walking these grounds and trying to imagine what it was like when their civilization was at its peak.
This is Luther Williams Field. It has been home to a number of teams, most recently The Macon Peaches, a minor league team. It began it's long tenure as a field early in the 1900s'. It is one of the longest lasting and still enduring fields in the nation. 

More recently a movie, 42, was partially filmed here and the surrounding Macon area. The movie is the story of Jackie Robinson, the first African American player to play in the National Baseball League. It opens April 2nd. The field seen in the movie and the tunnel that is seen in the posters was here. You can now walk around this field and even today, there are still baseball games played here. 


This field has been home to some famous players. During the their minor league tenure Pete Rose, Tony Perez, Andrew Jones, and Chipper Jones called this park home. Chipper Jones number, 10, will be retired this year at the Braves stadium. 
#cinematrove
Macon has always been a central hub for Georgia, and the south east. During the mid 1800s' Macon was a central point for transport of cotton, Georgia's leading export at the time. This grain dispenser used to be directly over the train yard. Now it rusts as a monument to the history of Macon.
One of Georgia’s most distinguished structures, the Johnston-Felton-Hay House in Macon was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974. It was built from 1855 to 1859 in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, a marked contrast to the more restrained Greek Revival architecture of the antebellum period.

The 18,000-square-foot mansion spans four levels and is crowned by a three-story cupola. Commissioned by imaginative owners and constructed by the most skillful workers of the time, its technological amenities were unsurpassed in the mid-19th century: hot and cold running water, central heat, a speaker-tube system, in-house kitchen and an elaborate ventilation system.

Only two families lived in Hay House over three generations. Most of the museum’s furnishings date from the Hay family’s occupancy (1926-1962). A few pieces are from the Johnston family (1860-1896), most notably the Eastlake-style dining room suite. The most important piece in the collection may be the 1857 marble statue, "Ruth Gleaning," by American expatriate sculptor Randolph Rogers.

The Johnstons
William Butler Johnston was no typical nineteenth-century Southerner. He obtained his substantial wealth through investments in banking, railroads and public utilities rather than from the agrarian cotton economy. In 1851, he married Anne Clark Tracy, 20 years his junior, and the two embarked on an extended honeymoon in Europe. During their trip, the Johnston's visited hundreds of museums, historic sites and art studios. They collected fine porcelains, sculptures and paintings as mementos of their Grand Tour. The Johnston's were inspired by the Italian architecture they observed and, upon their return to America, constructed a monumental Italian Renaissance Revival mansion in Macon.

The Feltons
Completed in 1859 and called the "Palace of the South," the residence was decorated and furnished in accordance with wealth and good taste. It became a beloved home for the Johnston's, their daughters and their extended family. After the death of Mrs. Johnston in 1896, daughter Mary Ellen and her husband William H. Felton lived in the house. They remodeled and redecorated parts of the house, updated the plumbing and added electricity.

The Hays
After the deaths of Judge and Ms. Felton in 1926, Felton heirs sold the house to Parks Lee Hay, founder of the Banker's Health & Life Insurance Company. The Hays substantially redecorated the house to reflect the changing character of twentieth-century living, and the house at 934 Georgia Avenue continued to be recognized as a local landmark for gracious living during the Hay ownership.

After Mrs. Hay's death in 1962, her heirs established the P.L. Hay Foundation and operated the house as a private house museum. In 1977, ownership of the house was formally transferred to the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. The house has been operated by the Trust since that time and has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.

Comté de Bibb : les plus belles villes à visiter

Lizella
Lizella
Lizella est une destination de charme qui plaira au plus grand nombre. Sur place, plusieurs sites valent le détour, comme Lake Tobesofkee et Arrowhead Park.

Explorez un monde de voyages avec Expedia